I would like to share with you the pamphlet stitched book that I made on 11th August. I learnt that I needed to use a bigger awl before sewing as it was REALLY difficult to sew at first. Once I made the holes in the leather larger it went OK. Thankfully this is a forgiving bind.
I used a vintage button from my late mother’s sewing basket, then found the bookbinding needle wouldn’t fit through the holes! I got round it, first I pierced the holes in the leather to line up with the button’s holes. I threaded needle and sewed from the inside to the outside, took off the needle, threaded the thread through both button holes. The re-threaded the needle to sew back through the cover. I simply tied the two ends together. WHere there’s a will, there’s a way…right.
I realise that the cover isn’t cut very well, as I say I was using a scrap of leather. This was all about learning how to construct this style of book, rather than making a perfect finished piece
Best wishes and thanks for reading