In today’s post I will be reviewing;
- Manufacturer/Brand; Winsor & Newton/ Cotman
- Item number
- RRP at time of writing: £45
Reason For Buying
For a long time I have been after some way of keeping all essential sketching equipment to hand and ready, just in case inspiration/motivation and opportunity collide and I get to go sketching. This gave me essential items in a convenient case that stops me carrying everything in my studio with me, on a sketching trip!
- Cotman Compact set; 14 half pans of student quality paint. This has lots of room for colour mixing and you can replace the pan paints as required.
- Small water bottle
- Watercolour pad of paper 8 x 5″
- Folding water pot
- Technique booklet
- Two Cotman synthetic brushes, round size 2 and size 6
- Putty eraser
- First of all, it comes with the content listed above so if you are just starting out with watercolour its perfect!
- The bag is sturdy, light and comes with handle on the top and the option of a wrap round your waist strap, for hands free.
- Room to add more brushes/pencils/pens from your own collections
- Separate pockets for things, to stop content rattling around
- Compact and ideal for travel
- Haven’t got any!
Excellent. Its made of wipe clean nylon, there is a brush/pen holder that attaches withVelcro inside, which you can remove, should you want to. All pockets have worn well. I’ve had mine years and it’s still in excellent condition.
Value for Money
Excellent. Has lasted well and a great place to start if you are new to watercolour.
Would I buy it Again?
Yes. If mine were to fall apart, I would definitely buy another one.
Would make a great present, ideal for travel, ideal as introduction to watercolours and as a first set. Lots of pockets for adding your own favorite items. If you don’t have a dedicated space to paint, this keeps essential items to hand.
Highly recommend for all abilities. Paints are removable, so you can replace colours as required or update the paint to the artists quality versions as you progress.
A great buy, for all artists, or budding of all ages and abilities.
- Winsor & Newton Manufacturers website. This links to UK site, but there are links off to other countries sites from here too.
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Travel Bag The manufacturer’s product details
- Cowling & Wilcox have these bags at excellent prices
- Jackson’s Art Supplies have the Cotman Travel Bag
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon