The Virtual Crafting Challenge theme for November & December 2011 is:
Great I hear you say, but now what? Well for those of you who would like a few ideas to get you started, here are some colours, products and techniques to help you choose, where you could go with this month’s theme. Feel free to use your own ideas for the theme. If you don’t celebrate a particular holiday at this time of year, how about making a project that celebrates your favorite time of year, or a vacation you took?
- The colours of the season, be that traditional reds, golds and greens or contemporary lilacs, blues and silvers etc
How about trying a different type of product than you usually use on your projects?
- Rubber stamps
- Rub ons
- Embossing folders
- Die cuts
- Embossing inks and powders
- Water colour
- Iridescent paint
- Metallic paint
- Florescent or neon colours
- Glass Paint
- Ceramic Paint
- Watercolour Pencils (its only the ‘holder’ that’s different, it’s still watercolour paint).
- Water soluble wax crayons (its only the ‘holder’ that’s different, it’s still watercolour paint).
How about using a different surface?
How about trying different techniques with your products, handmade gifts from the heart are such a wonderful way of showing someone you care.
- Glass painting
- Decorating a ceramic object, a mug or plate, perhaps a tile
- There are lots of metal objects available to decorate.
- How about painting on wood? There are lots of blanks available to ‘alter’
- Mix your stamping and other types of craft
- There are lots of fabric things to decorate and alter too. How about a t-shirt or shopping bag.
- How about getting napkins and table mats and decorating those for the holiday table?
- Check out Folsky and Etsy for original patterns in knitting and sewing projects
- Give calligraphy pens a try for a quick way to make your writing look special
- How about making your own gift tags?
- How about making your own decorations for the table, tree or around the home?
The most important thing about this challenge is that you have fun and explore. Don’t feel pressured to have a finished item at the end of the month. Explore different styles and techniques either in person, if you have the supplies, or through research, looking online.
You learn so much more when you take away the rules and just PLAY. Adapt this challenge to a creative style that interests you. Enjoy
This challenge could be a great way to nudge your mojo if you want to create handmade gifts for the special people in your life. If you have children get them involved too, keep em busy when they break up for the holidays Or as an escape from the festivities and get some ideas for the new year when you have more time
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon