In today’s post I will be reviewing; Seth Apter’s Easy Mixed Media Surface Techniques, DVD.
- Title: Easy Mixed Media; Surface Techniques by Seth Apter
- Manufacturer/Brand; North Light DVD
- Item number: ISBN 13: 978-1-4403-2421-5 of ISBN 10: 1-4403-2421-2
- RRP at time of writing: $24.99
Reason For Buying
Having read Seth’s blog; ‘The Altered Page’ for several years now, I already liked his style of art. A trip to America to take a class with him is beyond my budget so when I heard he had DVD’s out, I jumped at the chance when I saw one of them on Amazon. Please note if you are in Europe that this DVD is in NTSC format not the European standard PAL.
- The DVD is like taking a one to one class with Seth and ideal if you can’t get to America
- 71 minutes run time
- Excellent menu system if you wish to go back to a particular technique easily
- Very watchable all the way through but you can watch individual sections if you want to review a specific technique
- Ideal if you are new to mixed media, the techniques show are very achievable with only a few materials and products
- Add dimension with the simplest of tools that you are likely to have around the home
Personally I haven’t got any, I saw some reviews on Amazon saying it was a bit basic but the clue is in the title ‘Easy Mixed Media’. This is a great DVD for picking up new ideas and ideal for newbies too.
Excellent, easy to navigate to individual sections if you wish too and very watchable beginning to end.
Value for Money
Excellent, like taking a one to one workshop with Seth.
Would I buy it Again?
Yes, I love Seth’s artistic style and his tutorial style is encouraging, empowering and reassuring, which is great for those who would like to create more but are bewildered by the wealth of mixed media materials out there.
Love this DVD, I learnt a lot of new techniques, and had lots of ideas for adapting them to my own style rather than the sort of tutorial where you can only create the project as shown. This to me is the mark of a good tutor. Nice job Seth, and since streaming video seems to be beyond my current internet connection this DVD was ideal for me.
If you are in Europe, bear in mind this DVD is in NTSC format not PAL, that European countries use. The DVD is a region 0 disc though, so you need to check what your own DVD player will handle.
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon