Today I would like to share a tutorial for an exploding box. It’s still a paper craft project for those of you getting worried!
The finished box will look like this;
You Will Need
- Template. I created templates for 3cm and 6cm Boxes with full instructions. You will need to download these to follow this project, links at the end of the article.
- A4 card stock that will go through your printer
- A printer
- Steel Ruler
- Craft knife
- Cutting mat
- Scoring tool
If you only have plain paper use craft CDs to create the patterned paper that will suit your finished project.
The template has been designed to fit within an A4 sheet. For the 3cm box, print one A5 background from Artylicious CD, the box and it’s lid will fit within it. The 6cm box with the lid and inserts will require 2 sheets of A4 backgrounds from the CD.
- Open the PDF of the size of box you wish to make.
- Read through the instructions on the screen.
- Print your designs on to your chosen card, then put the card back into the printer and print the box template directly onto the card.
- Follow the instructions within the PDF for how to cut, fold and assemble your Exploding box and it’s lid.
- Add additional images as toppers to your basic box, and embellish you box to your chosen theme.
Ideas for your box
I am using these one’s as place settings for our Christmas table. These are also ideal for anyone with dexterity problems who can’t manage crackers Due to RSI I cannot pull a cracker so it will be nice to be able to join in with these instead. I’m sure there are shops that sell paper hats and you can print your own jokes if you really want to use these as alternatives to crackers. You could add a special small gift or the confectionary of your choice to the smaller inner box. If you have larger gifts, come back next Friday for the next installment of Exploding Boxes, there I will show you how to make these boxes without templates and you can modify them to the size of your choice😉
If you made this box in different styles of card, it could easily be adapted for;
Birthdays, Weddings, Christenings, Baby showers. It is a perfect size for place settings and enables you to tailor your choesen gift to the person you are giving it to.
Here are a few suppliers who produce CDs of papers and toppers that you can use to create your background papers.
- Graphicus; I used their Season’s Greeting’s CD from their Artylicious range to create the sample shown in this tutorial. http://www.graphicus.co.uk/brokerage.asp?SubCatID=43 Check out their full range of CDs inthe CD section from the home page. Artylicious is a truely wonderful range of artwork that is even better when you see it in real life.
- Joanna Sheen; Joanna has a wide range of CDs on all kinds of topics, they all include bacground papers, as well as toppers.
- Crafters Companion; All kinds of images on a variety of CDs
Here are PDFs of the templates you will need for the Exploding Boxes.
- BCR_T4_Exploding Box Template Instructions
- BCR_T1_Exploding Box 3cm Template
- BCR_T2_Exploding box 6cm Template Page One
- BCR_T3_Exploding box 6cm Template Page Two
Angel policy on templates
These templates have been made with love and given to you for free, they are for your own personal use. Please do not print them to sell.
You are welcome to sell any projects you make from these templates.
I’d love to see the projects make.
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon