Introduction to Blogging Part Two;
What to Blog
Having decided that you want to give blogging a go, what should you write about and how to go about it. I’ll describe my thought process for what I put on this blog. I’ve been asked how I work out my tutorials, well the same thought process actually goes into anything I put on line. The biggest break you can give yourself is to plan. Don’t try and do a tutorial for later that day or for tomorrow. Thanks to an unreliable Internet connection I have to post things ahead of time and schedule when I want them to appear, as I cannot guarantee that I’ll get a connection at any time.
So I’ve just made/found or bought something that I want to share with the world.
- My first step is to decide What exactly it is that I want to share.
- A picture of a finished piece or particular item.
- A tutorial of how I made something
- A review of a piece of equipment
- Links to ideas and inspiration
Once I’ve decided what it is I want to share, this usually points me in a direction for how to share;
- Written article on the blog
- Photographic Step By Step on the blog
- Video Tutorial; hosted on You Tube but also embedded in the blog
Often over looked in blogs and tutorials but a vital step for me is WHY I’m sharing something. When you thing about why, you are thinking about your intended audience. It makes you think ‘What would I want to know if I was watching /reading this.
- In response to a question or comment I have received
- To show others how a technique works, to enable them to try it as well
- To share how a project was created
- To enable someone to decide if a product is for them (reviews)
- To share with others information/links that have helped or inspired me, and would do the same for them
- To help others increase their knowledge of products and techniques
In the next part of this series I will go into more detail about using pictures in the blog.
Written articles have been covered by this series;
Introduction to Blogging Series
- Part 1; Introduction to Blogging
- Part 2; What to Blog
- Part 3; Adding Pictures to your Blog
- Part 4; Writting Tutorials for your Blog
- Part 5; Adding Product Reviews
- Part 6; Links to Inspiration
Thanks for reading, see you soon