In today’s post I will be reviewing;
- Manufacturer/Brand; Retro Knitting Site. 10″ Bamboo knitting needles.
- RRP at time of writing: £3.15
Reason For Buying
Have heard people say that bamboo needles are kinder to your hands if you have dexterity issues, wondered if this was true or just good marketing. I have RSI and although I like knitting, it doesn’t like me and my hands quickly seize up. Having asked some trusted friends who all say either they or people they know love bamboo needles, I decided to give them a try.
- Light! So much lighter than the metal ones I’m used to
- Warm to the touch, it’s not hype, its true they feel lovely
- You can get shorter ones, if you hunt for them
- Yarn does not slip as much as on metal needles. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your viewpoint
- Yarn does not slip as much as on metal needles. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your viewpoint.
The drag on the yarn would be comparable to that of using plastic knitting needles, but the wood is much ligher and nicer in the hand.
Excellent, very light in the hand. Warm to the touch unlike metal, very comfortable to use. Try them before you dismiss the idea. I was sceptical but they were great.
Value for Money
Would I buy it Again?
Definitely. Highly recommend you try them if you hands are creaky and you are struggling with your current knitting pins.
After just two short rows, I’m sold! Sign me up I’m a bamboo convert!! I didn’t get on with plastic needles at all and was using metal as the yarn slipped easily with less resistance than on plastic pins, but the feel of the cold metal did make my sore hands hurt. The warm touch of the bamboo wood is so much nicer. The greater resistance on the yarn is a bit of an advantage as the stitches don’t get away from you like they can do on metal.
I’ve only had a brief play so will let you know how I get on longer term. I also have a set of Brittany Birch needles on order and will try those before I commit to either kind. So far though, I’m a big fan of bamboo! I was a sceptic but I was wrong, try them before you write them off as a gimic.
At the time of writing these needles were only on their Ebay shop, but they will soon be available from;
- These needles are available from Retro Knitting Site
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon
***Update 29 October 2011***
The Retro Knitting Site are in the process of updating their website and would like you to know that they currently have the bamboo knitting needles in stock in the following sizes; 20cm , 23cm , 25cm , 34cm and 35cm.