The Virtual Crafting Challenge theme for March 2012 is:
Yarns, Fibers & Textiles
Great I hear you say, but now what? Well for those of you who would like a few ideas to get you started, here are some colours, products and techniques to help you choose, where you could go with this month’s theme. Feel free to use your own ideas for this theme too.
- Create something in your favorite colour
- Create something in a colour you have never used before
- This month’s birthstone is Aquamarine, try using this colour in your project
- Try out a different yarn to the type or weight you normally favor. There are some exciting fashion yarns around for something completely different. They knit up very quickly and often have patterns on the ball bands.
- Fabrics; Had your eye on some wonderful fabric? Go get it and lets see what you create with it.
This doesn’t have to be an expensive project; lots of the manufacturers have free patterns you can download. Check out the Yarns tab at the top of the page, for links to yarn manufacturers.
- Create something you can wear
- Add fibers or yarn to alter an item of clothing
- Use Textiles/fibers or yarn to decorate a card project
- Knitting, there are some superb tutorials around the web, if you have wanted to learn how, try it now 🙂
- Crochet. Check out You Tube for tutorials on how to crochet
- Sewing. You Tube is again the place to go for inspiration and tutorials for textile projects
- How about making a bag?
- Perhaps find out more about quilting.
The most important thing about this challenge is that you have fun and explore. Don’t feel pressured to have a finished item at the end of the month. Explore different styles and techniques either in person, if you have the supplies, or through research, looking online.
You learn so much more when you take away the rules and just PLAY. Adapt this challenge to a creative style that interests you. Enjoy 🙂
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon