In today’s post I will be reviewing; The Knitting Book published by DK.
- Title:The Knitting Book; Yarns, Techniques, Stitches, Patterns
- Author: Frederica Patmore and Vikki Haffenden
- Publisher: DK
- ISBN: 978-1-4053-6803-2
- Price: RRP £25.00
My Reason for Buying
Although my late mother taught me the basics of knitting when I was little and I also have the Dummies Guide to knitting book as well. I bought this book for inspiration and information, being a novice newbie I wanted photos of how things would look knitted up. The Dummies Guide is good but has few photos.
I tell you this as often a review is based on how well the book lived up to the expectations of its reader, for their purpose ;)
Tools and materials
- Yarns, Knitting needles, Other equipment, Embellishments, Garment Care
Stitch Pattern Gallery
- Knit and purl stitch patterns, In creasing and Decreasing, Increasing and Decreasing: Flower Patterns, Cable and Twist Stitch Patterns, Lace Stitch Patterns, Colourwork Patterns, Faux Colourwork Patterns, Edging Patterns, Medallions, Beading Stitch Patterns.
- Key Techniques, Preparing and Repairing, Following Stitch Patterns, Following a Pattern, Increases and Decreases, Cables and Twists, I-Cord, Lace Knitting, Colourwork, Textural and Colour Effects, Structural Effects, Short Rows, Circular Knitting, Reverse, Twist Knit, and Tunisian, Finishing Details, Embellishments, Knitted Toys, Felted Knitting, Using Unusual Yarns
- Superbly laid out, easy to use for reference
- No prior knowledge of the subject needed
- Covers a huge amount of topics
- Projects to suit a wide range of knitters, kids toys and clothes, homewares, men’s gloves, women’s hats, socks scarves and shawls. Something for all ages.
- Step by step photos of techniques, so you can see, as well as read, what you are meant to be doing.
- The Stitch library shows photos of finished stitch samples, so you can see what each looks like, then the Pattern library gives instruction for how to knit them.
- Fabulous resource for a general overview of knitting.
- This is a big book, so not particularly portable.
As a result though, it makes a great coffee table book, best buy it in hard back as it will become a firm favorite for reference use. Short of adding a DVD in there to physically show you techniques in action, this couldn’t get any better.
Value for Money
SUPERB! As a reference book it is fantastic as so many topics are covered in one volume.
Would I buy it Again?
DK really ‘get it’, when they make reference books. The clear and simple layout means when you want to look up something in particular, you can get there fast. The step by step photos are clear and the instructions assume no prior knowledge of the subject and take you through all you need to become really advanced. They don’t talk to you as if you were a child, but neither do they bewilder you with terms to confuse you.
I love the stitch library, as you see just what stitch patterns will look like, the yarn section likewise has photos of different yarns knitted up, which when you are a newbie, is so helpful. Perhaps if you find a particular style that you like, you will want other books for a greater depth of that specifically, but as an all round reference book and to get you started in a new hobby, this book is a winner.
If you are a newbie and want to learn, this book is fantastic, if you have knitted a while and want to increase your pattern knowledge this book is for you too. There are some handy patterns in there, that would make up into nice gifts and plenty of inspiration. I have the sewing version of this book too, and this is just as good as that one is. A fantastic series, I’ll be on the look out to see if there are more in the range.
I highly recommend this book to everyone interested in knitting
Highly worth the RRP, but we all like a bargain, and this book can also be found on Amazon ;)
- The Knitting Book on Amazon
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon