In today’s post I will be reviewing; Cosmic Shimmer Vintage Mica Flakes by Creative Expressions.
- Manufacturer/Brand; Creative Expressions: Cosmic Shimmer
- Item number: Tarnished Bronze; 055260 904440. Precious Gold; 055260 904457. Luna Silver 055260 904433.
- RRP at time of writing: £3.65 each. I bought mine as a set of three on Create & Craft.
Reason For Buying
Impulse! I am not a fan of glitter because it gets everywhere and I have a lot of static so this makes it worse. THIS on the other hand has much larger flakes. I saw these Mica Flakes demo’ed on Create and Craft by Sue Wilson and they seemed much heavier than glitter and gave a dazzling result. I want to use them with a series of different mediums and experiment, I could see a lot of possibilities with these. I also liked that they were more vintage colours rather than bright or candy colours which isn’t my style.
- 50 ml pot. Large enough to experiment with but not too big to store
- Good fitting screw top lid
- The flakes vary in size which adds a nice dimension to projects too.
- Nice stable pot, with a wide top for pouring the flakes back into. Although I’ll put mine into a bigger box, makes it easier to use and less to clear up ;)
- Lovely vintage colours, I can see more potential for my uses for these than with bright or candy colours that glitter often comes in. The gold is a nice soft old gold kind of colour, the silver is more like soft pearl and the bronze is a warm version of autumn leaves. Tricky to photograph, but they are totally lush!
None, just a little outside my comfort zone ;)
Nice, I like the variation on flake size and the vintage colours. The pots have a nice wide opening making it easy to pour any unused flakes back in. The jars have well-fitting lids that hold well but aren’t difficult to open.
Value for Money
Fair. You get lots in the little pots, and a small amount goes a long way.
Would I buy it Again?
Ask me in a few months. I’m not a big one for glittery things, so I need some time to get used to the concept and how I’ll incorporate them into my style.
This was a leap of faith for me, I wanted to add a more textural dimension to my projects and experiment with more colours.
When I’ve had more time to play and experiment, expect to see more projects and tutorials using this product. I can see a lot of potential for this and look forward to finding out what more I can do with it.
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon