In today’s post I will be reviewing;
Issue 1 of Knit & Sitch magazine by Bergere De France.
- Manufacturer/Brand; Bergere De France
- Item number; ISBN: 2049-8004
- RRP at time of writing: 99p
Reason For Buying
Having seen lots of crochet projects online and on TV I really wanted to learn to crochet. I spent so long looking into hooks that might help with my limited dexterity that the Wendy Poole DVD that I was going to buy from C&C sold out. When I saw this magazine on TV with a DVD I jumped at the chance to learn and have some patterns too.
This first issue is an amazing price and if you want to get started in knitting & crochet GET it quick as it was out last week.
- Issue 1 of Knit & Stitch magazine
- 1 pr 3.5mm metal knitting needles 25cm long
- 2 25g balls of Bergere De France yarn
- Leaflet telling you yarn that will be used in the series
- Details of freebies offered to subscribers
DVD run time 26 minutes, this covers the following
The slip loop, cast on, knit and purl stitches, Basic stitches: Garter Stitch, Stocking Stitch, Reverse Stocking stitch, Moss stitch, Casting off. Tips section covers; Changing ball of yarn/change colour, Pick up dropped stitch, Unravel to correct a mistake.
Slip knot, chain stitch, Basic Stitches; Single Crochet, Double Crochet, Half Treble, Treble, Double Treble. Increases and Decreases, Finishing.
- The needles are metal so they feel a better quality than usual cheap plastic ones often offered in such kits
- The magazine lists a website that gives lots of information about the series such as number of issues and a preview of the first issue.
- Knit & stitch guide gives details of yarns that will be used across the series and a preview of some of the patterns too
- Different sections for all levels including; Patchwork collection (knitted & crocheted squares to create the throw), Fashion makes, Easy Does it, For the Family, Home Comforts and Know How
- Run time 26 minutes
- Excellent DVD, showing lots of stitches and get you started techniques
- Clearly explained and filmed from over the shoulder of the demonstrator so easier to learn
- Narrator has a reassuring but not annoying patronising voice as on some DVDs
- No background music to distract you
- Good contrast between demo yarn and surroundings so easy to see how stitches are formed
- On the DVD everything is very well explained but from a total novice point of view, had the stitches been shown for the entire row rather than just a couple of times, it would have helped the new skill sink in better. That said, being a DVD I can just replay a particular section over and over again till I get it.
Excellent. The metal needles make for a more quality thought about product than the usual cheap n sometimes nasty plastic ones often found on such magazines. The yarns are sealed in boxes, which keeps them clean and protected.
Value for Money
Would I buy it Again?
If you have promised yourself this is the year you want to learn to knit or crochet, get to the shops QUICK, this issue was out last week and issue two is already in store. You don’t want to miss this one as it has the instructional DVD in it. I like these kind of things for the fact that you get practice yarn, some patterns for all levels which inspires you to keep learning so you can make the harder stuff.
This particular magazine covers a range of crafts; Knitting, Crochet, Tapestry, Crewelwork, felting. Over the series it will give you the chance to try out a selection of yarn types and also collect a number of tools for your new hobby.
Will I buy them all, in real honesty, no. This is a weekly publication and although it offers a lot, the regular price will be £4.50 which I just don’t have spare on a weekly basis. Had it been fortnightly, I would have bought more of them. That said it is a wonderful quality product and if you want to try these hobbies grab it while you can, its superb.
Check out the dedicated website to the Knit & Stitch magazine, it has a lot of useful info and a preview of this weeks issue.
I’m very impressed by this publication, they seem to have given a lot of thought to the presentation and the things people want to know upfront. Check out the links for more information from their website.
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon