In today’s post I will be reviewing; Threads;Teach Yourself to sew Season 1
- Manufacturer/Brand; Threads/ Taunton Press
- Item number: 978-1-60085-370-8
- RRP at time of writing: $24.99 (from Taunton press) Around £13 on Amazon UK but price varies
- Run Time: 150 minutes
Reason For Buying
I have sewing books but being dyslexic I am a very visual learner, I found Threads online magazine and website thanks to a sewing forum and when I saw this series it looked brilliant. The postage to buy them individually from their own site was very high but I found them on Amazon UK. More about that later in the article.
I wanted to learn basic sewing skills and to help learn techniques that will help me make my own clothes. I tell you all this as often reviews are based on how well a product lives up to the expectations of the person buying it.
The DVD covers the following topics
- Bias Binding
- Snaps and Hooks
- Clear easy to understand presentation, no background music to distract you
- Does what it says on the tin.! No frills, no overkill but superb instruction that you will refer to time and again
- There are some projects along the way, weren’t exactly to my taste but they did demonstrate techniques and processes which was still helpful.
- A great help to anyone wanting to try dressmaking and bewildered by all the products they see on the shelves of sewing departments.
- Find out what items you need to get started, and what things you might want to put on a wish list for later in your sewing career.
- A very inspiring, empowering DVD, after watching this, I felt I could give dressmaking a go.
I don’t have any
Good, sound is clear, lighting is fine, some camera work moves a bit quick but not so often as to be an issue. No background music makes it easy to hear what the presenter is saying. There is a full menu system so although the DVD works find to play all the way through, you can also go directly to a chapter when you want to review a particular technique.
Value for Money
Excellent. Covers a lot and is a good investment.
Would I buy it Again?
Yes and highly recommend this title and the series to anyone learning to sew without access to other classes or sewing buddies.
This series is superb, I have loved every minute of this DVD and have since acquired Season 2 and 3 as well, but I will review those separately.
Being a visual learner it was so much easier to have techniques demonstrated as they were explained. I have books on sewing and will get more use of them now after seeing the concepts demonstrated. If you can’t get to a sewing/dressmaking class in person, this is the next best thing, with the advantage you can watch it as many times as you like. It is also ideal if your internet connection isn’t up to online classes! A superb series and I highly recommend it to everyone wanting to make their own clothes.
Compatibility in the UK
At first I was put off from buying this DVD from Amazon UK, as they are currently listed on there as Region 1, which I cannot play in the UK. On further investigation, the publishers Taunton list the DVD as Region 0 and playable in all regions.
I took a chance and ordered it from Amazon UK and it has worked perfectly on our TV/DVD set up. Our set up will play NTSC as well as PAL format DVDs so do bear that one in mind and check your machines before you order if you are based in the UK.
Here’s where you can find the DVD Learn to Sew Season 1.
- Threads magazine
- Taunton Store/ Sewing
- Amazon UK
- Threads Teach Yourself to Sew Season 1 on Taunton Store
Have you tried this Teach Yourself to Sew series? What did you think of it? Has it inspired you to sew more and try more adventurous projects? Do leave me a comment and let me know how you get on.
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon