In today’s post I will be reviewing; Knit Pro Basix Fixed length circular needles.
- Manufacturer/Brand; Knit Pro: Basix
- Item number: Birch WD Fixed Circular (80cm-6.00 mm) 35332
- RRP at time of writing: Around £5, price varies with needle size/cable length.
Reason For Buying
I need 6mm circular needle for my new chunky yarn, but because of my dexterity issues metal needles make my hands lock up and I found bamboo and plastic have too much drag on the yarn. Ideally I was after a light wood but I’ve got on so well with birch the search began for birch circular needles. In the past I’ve not considered Knit Pro as their wooden needles had very busy patterns on them. After a search brought up this new Basix range which are plain coloured, I went to their website and looked for sellers.
- The Birch wood is warm to the touch, making them very comfortable in the hand, kind to sore hands with dexterity issues
- Because these are a fixed length cable the needle is longer than the interchangeable ones in the larger diameters.
- The transaction from wooden needle to cable is made of metal but it quickly warms to your hand and is not freezing like all metal needles. Very smooth and comfortable.
- The needles are easy to store, and are ideal if you want to take your knitting out and about. They take up little space and you can’t loose a needle on route, or prod your fellow passengers if you are on trains etc.
- The birch wood makes them beautifully light, which is also a great help if you struggle with your dexterity.
- Light coloured wood, makes them easy on the eye and not distracting
- Super smooth in use, no snagging or dragging on the yarn
- The cable is an excellent quality too.
I have no cons to this product, just a request to the company to extend the range to the smaller diameter needles, so I can use them with DK weight yarns too. It would also be good if they brought in a 40cm length for socks/ mittens etc.
Fantastic. The birch needles have a beautifully smooth finish, super slick connection between the needle and the cable which is very comfortable in the hand. Nothing to snag on the yarn, or scratch at your hands. The birch is a wonderful material to knit with and kind and gentle on sore hands. I can see why there is so many good things said about this brand. The materials they use and their finishing is fantastic.
Value for Money
Excellent. These are very well made and from quality products.
Would I buy it Again?
Yes. I’ll be collecting more sizes in these needles.
Although the connection between the needle and cable is metal, it is far enough along that only your little finger comes in contact with it and it does warm up in use. Its NOTHING like working with a metal needle. I adore birch wood needles they are so much kinder to my hands. Yarn moves smoothly across it and even with limited dexterity I can knit for longer with it.
I adore my Brittany needles but they don’t make circulars. I was also worried that in the larger diameters, that I would struggle with the extra weight of the needles. These Knit Pro Basix are the bees knees! The main I haven’t tried Knit Pros in the past was the vivid colours on the Symfonies or very dark patterned wood on the Rose wood ones. I like the idea of interchangeable needles, for the versatility and easy storage but the fixed overall length of the cables, result in very short needles in the larger diameters and I my dexterity couldn’t cope with the very short ones.
These Basix resolve all the issues I had with other needles in their range and I highly recommend them. I did contact Knit Pro EU before writing this, and they said they had no plans to produce interchangeable needles in the Basix range at this time. At the time of writing the following sizes available in the fixed length circulars in the Basix range:
- mm: 5.5, 6.0, 6.50, 7.00, 8.00, 9.00, 10.00, 12.00, 15.00, 20.00, 25.00
- on the following cable lengths
- cm: 60, 80, 100, 120, 150
For lists of more Knit Pro suppliers, please visit the Knit Pro EU site where they list a worldwide list of retailers of their products
- Knit Pro EU
- Knit Pro Basix
- Art of Yarn more sizes on their Ebay shop 😉
- Knit Picks USA store. I haven’t seen the Basix on this site (at time of writing) but others products in the range are on there.
For reference, the Basix range are also available in straight needles, and double-pointed needles too.
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon
PS. Knit Pro if you read this; Pretty please extend the range of Knit Pro Basix fixed length circulars, this is a superb product and I would collect even more of them.