In today’s post I will be reviewing; Faber-Castell; 4 Pitt artist Pens
- Manufacturer/Brand; Faber-Castell PITT Artist Pen
- Item number: 167100
- RRP at time of writing: £9.49
The four pen set contains: S, F, M, B which I later found out equates too;
Reason For Buying
Originally I bought these some years ago for ink sketching, but I haven’t got round to using them much for that yet. Instead I’ve used them for doodling.
- Comfortable in the hand
- Very black ink
- Good on cartridge paper
- Excellent range of nib sizes
- Pens are available individually to replace them as needed.
- Some issues with a few sizes, see Build Quality
The caps fit well, the pen is comfortable in the hand but I have found the nibs are a bit scratchy in the XS and S size. The M tip has had a tendency to not cover on the first stroke, so I wasn’t pleased with that for doodling. That may not be an issue for sketching where I may want a softer line. Depends on what you are wanting to use these for.
Value for Money
Good, F/C products are well made and well worth the investment. I’m not going to write off these pens, as the niggles I have may reduce with use. The nibs may well wear in and work better. I am comparing them to very old pens of a similar kind.
Would I buy it Again?
I’ve enjoyed using these pens but they haven’t performed as well as some of the others that I’ve had in the past. I also have their Artline drawing system pens which I found worked slightly better, that said as I mentioned earlier I am comparing them to very old pens and perhaps the old ones were like this when new. A fantastic quality of ink, so well worth trying. No problems with the brush tip and the fact the ink is a true black black and doesn’t reactivate with water makes them very useful for sketching and doodling especially if you want to add paint or other ink over the top.
The more hit n miss effect on the thicker nibs might work better for sketching it was just I wanted a reliable thick line for the doodling style I was working on at the time of writing this review. I’ll add a note at the end of the review when I’ve tried them for sketching to report on how well they work for that.
Here’s where you can find these pens online.
- Set of 4 Faber-Castel pens on Amazon UK also available as a set of 6 which include the XS and a chisel tip
- Artline Drawing System pens on Amazon UK This set contains 0.1, 0.3, 0.5 and 0.7 which are my perfect sizes for sketching and doodling.
- Edding 1800 Profipen another favorite and worth comparing with these pens. Smaller choice of nibs at 0.1,0.3, 0.5 but these would be most used for sketching and doodling.
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon