In today’s post I will be reviewing; Acrylic Solutions exploring mixed media layer by layer by Chris Cozen and Julie Prichard.
- Title: Acrylic Solutions exploring mixed media layer
- Author: Chris Cozen and Julie Prichard
- Publisher: North Light Books
- ISBN: 13: 978-1-4403-2112-2
- ISBN 10: 1-4403-2112-4
My Reason for Buying
Having taken online mixed media classes with Julie and Chris, I was keen to see what was in their book and to learn more techniques to use with acrylics. I tell you this as often a review is based on how well the book lived up to the expectations of its reader, for their purpose😉
In Julies Words
About this book
- Chapter 1; The Basics; Design, colour, materials and more
- Chapter 2: Layering a good foundation
- Chapter 3: Adding Structure
- Chapter 4: Developing Complexity
- Chapter 5: Finessing the details
- Lots of techniques covered
- Lots of inspiration
- Finished examples as well as step by steps
- A great way to find out about gels, pastes and what can be done with them
- Think of this as a jumping off point, you can duplicate their technique or take it in your own direction.
- A link to suppliers of materials used in the book would have been useful.
Throughout the book Golden Products are referred to, yet as a number of people on Amazon have pointed out, these aren’t so easy to find outside the USA. There are links to Julie and Chris’s website in the book and from Chris’s site you can find a link to Golden’s site which will give you details of stockists.
Value for Money
Would I buy it Again?
Yes, this is one of those must have books.
I’ve enjoyed this book on so many levels. Its a great book just to look through and be inspired by the projects, if you want to try different gels/pastes but have no idea where to start or what they might do, it gives you great ideas for that. You don’t need to read it in the order that it’s written, find a section or technique that appeals and give it a go.
There are so many books that promise the world and leave you feeling cheated, this is NOT one of those. It doesn’t claim to have all the answers but it does give you a great overview of lots of techniques that leave you full of ideas and rushing to your supplies.
It took me a while to buy the book as having taken several of Julie’s classes I was worried that it would cover too much ground I’d already learnt. Yes I recognize excerpts from the classes but that’s no bad thing, it’s nice to have a recap and if the rest of the book is excerpts from some of their other classes I’ve not yet taken, then this has only fueled me to want to take more.
If you have previous experience with acrylics and want to stretch your techniques and try new things, this book is for you. It could be used by a newbie to mixed media, especially if you are one of those ‘What if’ kind of artists and like to experiment with your materials to see what they can do.
Yes, the book is biased toward Golden products and because they are ARTIST quality materials they are the higher price tag but its not unusual for any artist writing a book to quote you the materials that they use the most. I have used a good few of Golden’s products and can vouch for their quality. Fluid acrylics are fantastic and truly deserve the hype and price tag they ask for.
If you like the book and wish it went further or deeper into the topics, check out Julie’s website as there are online classes available that go into even more detail.
- Chris Cozen website from here you can find a link to Golden’s website
- Julie Prichard Website
- Acrylic Solutions on Amazon
To answer criticism I read on an Amazon review for availability of Golden products; here is the makers website for worldwide availability and also a list of places to buy Golden products in the UK
- Golden This is the makers website from which you can find suppliers near you.
- Jackson’s Art Supplies UK Stockist of the full range of Golden products including the Fluid Acrylics.
- M Saltmarsh Great selection of Golden products and now fluid acrylics too. Wonderful traditional artist supplier on the high street.
- Chromosart UK Stockist of Golden products including Fluid Acrylics
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon