In today’s post I will be reviewing;
- Title: Surface treatment Workshop
- Author: Darlene Olivia McElroy and Sandra Duran Wilson
- Publisher: North Light Books
- ISBN: 13: 978-1-4403-0824-6
- ISBN: 10: 1-4403-0824-6
My Reason for Buying
I’m a fan of mixed media art and since I have collected more colours and mediums, I was looking for some inspiration as to how to get some of the cool effects I’ve seen people create. When I saw this book on Amazon and the sort of thing it contained, it looked ideal. I tell you this as often a review is based on how well the book lived up to the expectations of its reader, for their purpose ;)
After an overview of the materials you will need to ‘play along’ the book breaks down into the following sections.
Techniques covers: Additive, Resist, Subtractive or combination.
- Additive; meaning you are adding something to the surface
- Subtractive; meaning you are removing parts or areas of earlier layers
- Combination; meaning a combination of both the above.
Inspirational Projects: Step by step projects, featuring techniques learnt earlier in the book
- At the start of the book there is useful information about archival quality of the techniques. Not everything shown in the book is intended to or will last for a substantial length of time. Each technique warns you of the archival quality so you know if you use it, whether it is a ‘keeper’ or not. VERY helpful, especially if you were creating art that you intent to gift/sell or put in a memory box.
- You are also advised as to what kind of surface any technique will be suitable for.
- Each technique is given a double page spread. The first page is a photographed step by step, with details for what tools and materials you will need, what surface it will work best on and its archival quality (How well it will last). As well as tips to make the technique your own. On the opposite page there are a number of finished examples, showing the technique used in a variety of ways, there is a brief description of what was used in each one.
- Some of the techniques involve household items, so things you will have to hand
- A variety of techniques to suit all skill levels and ideal for the adventurous, or those who want to be more adventurous but aren’t sure how.
- There are a few things in there that I haven’t seen in the UK, (no idea what Rinse Aid is?) That said, there is a list of suppliers at the back of the book.
Value for Money
Excellent, like a recipe book for mixed media. If you aren’t keen on attending a workshop at an art store or can’t find a workshop that covers the techniques you are interested in, then this book will save you a fortune! Learn at your own pace and with the colours/materials that you like and enjoy.
Would I buy it Again?
Yes, great for dipping into, or finding out how to use that pot of medium you either bought and just look at bewildered or have heard about but don’t know what to do with.
This is a great book for those wanting to get more from their supplies and find new ways to use them. If you are a fan of mixed media then there are loads of techniques in here that will really inspire you. If you already use acrylic paints, then you are likely to have most of the core kit and can just add in a few mediums that tempt you, when you see what can be done with them.
The fact that the book explains the longevity of the technique, is really helpful. If you were creating a special project that you wanted to hand down through the family, this will help you choose which technique will stand the test of time. Not everything you want to make needs to last decades but if its nice to know if it would damage something precious if left next to it ;)
The techniques shown in the book, are suitable for paper-crafters, as well as for wall art and dimensional projects too. A great selection that will help you out of your comfort zone and into the FUN exciting world of mixing your media together.
If you like mad science experiments with your materials, just to see what will happen, you will love this book. If you like projects with layers of hidden colours, textures, and with dimension and want to add more of these to your own style, then this is the book for you.
- Surface Treatment Workshop on Amazon
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon