If you love the texture of crackle but would like a fuss free way to create it, check out this video tutorial for creating texture with gesso. This is a dimensional paint effect so not one to stamp or journal over, but it makes a fantastic tactile finish.
You Will Need
- Daler Rowney Gesso; White
- Broad Palette knife. I’m using Langnickel K4
- Jar of water
- Non stick craft sheet
- Paint colours of your choice
I’ve included a written version of the instructions so those who need to can use the translate this site, to have the instruction in your chosen language.
- Apply a generous layer of gesso to your mount board using the palette knife.
- Using the flat face of the knife pat/dab into the gesso, this will leave a texture in the surface. Vary the pressure for different sizes of texture.
- Continue until you have an effect you like and allow to dry.
- For a coloured background add a light wash, then use a rag or sponge to apply colour just to the raised areas of the texture.
- For a coloured background texture, mix your colour into the gesso, bear in mind the colour will appear lighter as gesso is opaque.
- Put a small amount of gesso in a separate container and add particles of sand or glass beads for a different more textured result.
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial, would love to see what you create using the techniques shown.
Best wishes and thanks for reading see you soon