In today’s post I will be reviewing; Winsor & Newton Field Box.
- Manufacturer/Brand; Winsor & Newton (mine is Cotman but it is also available with their artist quality paint too)
- Item number; 0390639
- RRP at time of writing: £37
Reason For Buying
I’ve had this little gem for about 15 years now, (the new one’s are blue boxes) so this review is a little late but it is only now I have the technology to share my views about this with more people. I wanted to paint anywhere, this is a self-contained kit that allows you to just add a sketchbook and a pencil and off you go. Due to a limited budget mine is the Cotman version (the student quality paints) the same set is available with artist quality paints at a higher price.
- The newer ones have blue boxes, very apt as they really are like little *TARDIS! The small size accommodates 12-14 half pan paints.
- Self storing brush, it takes apart and bristles are protected within the barrel of the brush.
- Has its own water bottle, complete with mixing area.
- The end of the box pulls off to create your water pot
- In addition to the smooth face of the water bottle, you have two, fold out mixing pallets.
- Compact and not too heavy to just slip in your pocket.
- Robust and durable
- Includes 12 half pan paints, but you can squeeze in a couple more at the top end😉
- Lift up centre section, allowing you to remove/replace pans as required.
On my box, I find pulling the water pot off the end of the closed box difficult, but I do have limited dexterity and it has meant that the box has never fallen open by mistake in transit.
Superb, I’ve had mine nearly 15 years and it’s still good as new. It’s not too heavy but still remains robust and sturdy.
Value for Money
Fantastic! As a newbie go for the Cotman (student paint) version for affordability, you can buy individual half pan paints to change the colours to your own prefered pallet should you wish to and to replace colours as you use them up. Over time, as you progress to the artist quality paint, simply change the paint pans to those as you go.
Would I buy it Again?
Yes! The latest ones are blue and very smart It’s amazing how much kit this little box holds.
I have a tendency to carry far too much kit. I have collected lots of variations of paint boxes over the years but come back to this one for travel, every time. I now add a water brush, sketch book and pencil to my pocket and it takes up minimal space in your coat or bag. Great to keep with you in case inspiration strikes-even when you weren’t out intending to sketch. It is fairly priced and very reliable. A must have for your travel kit!
- Winsor & Newton Manufacturers website. This links to UK site, but there are links off to other countries sites from here too.
- Cotman Field Box
- Artists Field Box As above but with the artist quality paint, instead of the Cotman student quality ones.
Best wishes and thanks for reading, see you soon
PS: *TARDIS is a Doctor Who reference. His Time and relative Dimensions in Space or TARDIS as its know, has always been renowned for being bigger on the inside than the outside See Doctor Who Ok so I’m a closet nerd/anorack…bovered! hehehe